Friday, January 6, 2012

Dwight Giants, We are Great!

I moved to Dwight School in the 5th grade because of a new thing called "zoning" our school system was going through. I cried because I had gone to Oak Park for 4 years, and I didn't want to change schools just because we had moved to a new neighborhood. But after the first day.....Oak what? It was like my little country club. Did I learn anything? Heck yeah....I learned that if you take a quarter and drag it along a plastered wall, it makes a silver streak. I learned about sex and some really cool bad words. I learned that boys, while thrilling, were really a little goofy and giggled over stupid stuff. I learned that a bloodhound when left unattended will walk right up into the school, right up to the desk of his favorite master, Tim Ware. I learned many nasty tricks to play on teachers and substitutes. I learned how to skate. I fell in love right off the bat with a twin, and my best friend was his twin's girl. Math? well....my math education left off in the 4th grade. I had my first black teacher. Her name was Mrs. Baker and she taught us Social Studies.  She actually taught us to take notes. Don't remember even having reading. Don't remember science either. Mostly what I learned at Dwight was life lessons. I learned that girls are mean, and that guys make the best friends most of the time. What a great place.
My best friends were: Carla, Jonathan, Karen, Yvonne, Teresa, Mike (my ideal guy, but was afraid to let him know),  Ronnie (my honey bunny), Lisa, Teresa (the football star), Kyle ( a later honey bunny), Lynne, Kaye, Debbie, Bruce, J.T. and Steve. There were lots more, but I am getting too old to remember names.

No comments:

Post a Comment